How to make coffee with a cafetiere / French press. This recipe makes one small French Press (400ml) – scale up ratios as needed.
You will need:
- Place 1/4 cup of coarsely ground coffee (28g) in your French press.
- Pour water (just off the boil) onto the grounds until the French press is full to about an inch from the top (400ml).
- Gently stir to make sure all the grounds are wet, place the lid on and wait 4 minutes.
- Remove the lid and give another gentle stir. This lets the grounds sink to the bottom.
- Scoop off the foam layer and replace the lid. Leave for another 4 minutes.
- Gently press the plunger down until it is just above the settled grounds. Don't be tempted to push too hard, the more gentle you are the fewer grounds will end up in your cup.
- Pour and enjoy!
Want to take it to the next level?
Preheat your French press and wrap in a teatowel while it is brewing. This helps to keep it warmer longer.
Weigh your coffee and water for more consistent results every time.
Use coarsely ground coffee about the size of couscous – fresh is best!
Use filtered water (from a Brita jug or similar is fine) to help bring more flavour out.